Catch it while you can

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt
surf god
surf god

Catch it while you can

Post by Matt »

Had a very good sail at Weston yesterday afternoon. Started on 5.7 on Kombat 96, wind gradually picked up so swapped to Evo 80 for the last hour. Lots of nice little waves to play on too. Hoping for more of the same this afternoon, high tide at 1630. See you there :D :D
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Weston delivered another excellent session yesterday, 5.2 on Evo 80 all afternoon. Slightly more up and down wind and lumpier water made it more challenging than Thursday resulting in a couple of trips over the front. Waves cleaned up after high tide as usual. Loads of people out too in contrast to Thursday, they'd obviously been saving themselves for it. :D :D
WindsurfersWorld
had a lesson
had a lesson

Post by WindsurfersWorld »

Hi Matt,
I am very jealous, I was in the shop thinking how nice and windy it was, but with Nick away this week no sneaking out the shop for me
:cry:

Two outing's on the new Evo already! Sounds like you like it, knew you
would :) . I have a new set of footstraps for you.

All the best,
Rich
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Hi Rich, yeah the Evo's great! I was slightly worried it might sink like a stone under my weight or at least be hard work to keep afloat but I felt at home on it straight away. The design must be spot on to use the volume so efficiently. Hope it's not too long before I can use it again and that you get a sail in soon too.

Cheers for the straps, I'll pop in sometime.

Matt :D
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

Last Friday was exactly the sort of day I would have taken off work to go to Weston, but it was also one of the very rare days that I wasn't able to take off! :cry:

Still, glad you had a good one :)
Alistair
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I scored Friday and Saturday at Waveney Island in the Lakes which prodfuced a nice wave on Friday and allowed only the second outing of my 5.2 Rock new in December last year - must remeber to ask Rich for the use it twice in quick sucession option next time I buy :lol:

Saturday was well powered up on a 6.0 but flatter water. A completely c**p sail at Beadnell in Northumberland meant I doubled this years sailing time in a week!!

Beadnell could be good but I have sailed it a few times over the years and it has always been rubbish. Waveney Island on the other hand is very good apart from a WSM style walk to the water at low tide. In fact it is very Weston in sailing style but with clean water :!: The nearby lakes also give excellent alternatives if the wind does not blow.

Adrian
Liddlerich
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Liddlerich »

I'm from that part of the world and Beadnel can be a great place to sail in the right wind direction. If you are up that way also check out Bamburgh, Budle, Newton and Embleton (best chips and crab soup ever in the pub in Craster) - also some great wave sailing. Blyth and Duridge Bay can also be very good on the right days.

There are stacks of sailing options up there. For more info check out the Northumbrian Windsurf Club website.

Hope this helps in a more successful trip next time.
Vulcan't
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

Plus you get to prove how hard you are by sailing in short sleeves the whole year round :wink:
Alistair
Liddlerich
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Liddlerich »

Wetsuits are for girls! Speedos is all you need!!!!!! :shock:

Seriously though - great variety of conditions and beautiful scenic beaches to be had up there. Paradise if you are used to Weston! And it's not that cold. :wink:
Vulcan't
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Thanks - I have sailed Bamburgh in the past and had a good day and i know Beadnell can be good it is just one of those places where I always seem to get skunked! All the signs were good this time, plenty of wind on the beach but everything disapeared 2 minutes after I hit the water and was back as I left the car park!!!

Not sure about everyone else but i have a couple of 'unlucky' beaches that seem to work for everyone else but me.

Adrian
Liddlerich
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Liddlerich »

I think they call it Sods Law!
Vulcan't