Summer BBQ

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard
surf god
surf god

Summer BBQ

Post by Richard »

OK, so it did rain, but then the wind did show as well :)

Having hit heavy rain on the trip down Friday afternoon, we thought we were in for a damp and dreary start to the weekend. Can't tell you how refreshing a sight it was when the rain cleared after Exeter, what's more, it held off at the lake until late evening.

I think that most had a good days sailing come Saturday, big kit being the choice for most, however, all were probably all a little overpowered when in the gusts hit.

Some carnage on the water included Ian snapping a boom and myself having the UJ separating connection from the board, but the safety cover was excellent and anybody that had any issues was well supported.

The weather once again came good come Saturday afternoon / evening, which helped with the BBQ, a great evening which culminated with a chill out session around a fire pit back in the camping area.

Come Sunday the rain appeared to be winning the battle, so with a number of sailors suffering aching bones from the day before, only one of the group ventured out, well done the "chef".

We certainly enjoyed the weekend, apologies once again if there were a few more non-member's than expected, cheers, R&A
Keith S
wave rider
wave rider

Post by Keith S »

I think our year book says Roadford is suitable for beginners - not this weekend. The wind was dead offshore and very gusty. There were a few rides in the rescue boat.

Saturday was the best wind. I used 8.5m Lightning on JP-Xcite 130. Extremely well powered up in the gusts but had some fantastic fast runs. Sail sizes varied from 9.4m to 7m. Very difficult to get back to shore again 'cos it was dead upwind.

Excellent evening BBQ. Many thanks to Steve for organising the beer, Neroli for organising the food and the rain for briefly stopping.

Really nice to meet Richards friends ( the Dahab contingent) without whom we would've been a very small group.

Saturday night and Sunday rain caused a great lack of enthusiasm for sailing on Sunday.
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Roadford

Post by steve powell »

Excellent sail on Saturday...very tiring and I was given a lift in for the first time at Roadford. Viv and I were really suffering Sunday morning...not had windsurfing aches and pains for ages.

Great food, beer and company.

Cheers
Steve & Viv
I will learn to carve! (and jump)