Hamworthy goes mental!!

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Hamworthy goes mental!!

Post by Mark Gregory »

Hey Justin where were you?
As it was mental today when the winds picked up. I was tempting jumps off waves and boat wakes. Did one, where I went up high and decided to go for a forward. Crashed landed and broke the boom :oops: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to the Surf
Ian H
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Ian H »

What a day, 5.2m all day 08:15 to 4:00pm when the wind dropped. Got to count as one of the best days of the year. Lots of Nomads for company, well worth the long journey.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

... knew I should have taken the wave board rather than the big board :evil: !

Still, great to have so much company and a sociable day out ... and a beautiful location :D

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Justin
surf god
surf god

Post by Justin »

Sounds like I missed a good one! Working till late last night, so didn't find out about the change of venue till this morning. Decided to stick with Portland, wasn't quite as windy as Hamworthy sounds, just nicely powered on 5.7m/86L, Lorraine on 5.0m/80L. Some good standing waves in the channel to play with though :P .
Mouser73
beach starter
beach starter

Post by Mouser73 »

Glad the wind picked up for you guys. Things didn't look promising when we left around lunchtime, so we headed the scenic route over to Weymouth with plans to check out the harbour.
Not knowing the area, we came on to the see front and parked in a really busy car park which I now realise was Overcome.
Anyway, lots of windsurfers and a few kiters. We were advised to rig around 6.0m, so we rigged 5.5/5.8 and had an awesome couple of hours in waves up to 6ft and some fun swell further out. there were some pretty big sailing boats out in the middle, where the wind was stronger.
I really loved sailing here, and as it was so unexpected will stick in my mind as one of the best sails of the year.

James.
Keith S
wave rider
wave rider

Post by Keith S »

Many thanks to Rachael for the chocy rolls and Sue for the yummy fruit cake. I think they're trying to slow us down!
Ian H
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Ian H »

Justin, the truth is we were all on our biggest sails and were all wishing we had gone to Portland.
The pretending was for your benefit.
Good company, nice scenary and Sue's cakes but not much wind.
Glad you had a good time.
Justin
surf god
surf god

Post by Justin »

Have to admit, I had my suspicions :lol: .
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Justin

We knew we should have followed you :lol: ! Those on the largest kit fared better - that was Ian, Matt, Bob, Keith. I had a few runs on my 6.5 and 105, but not enough for my liking! Shame, as it is a beautiful patch of water, and it was a lovely day - we were longing for it to kick in just the teeniest bit more.

Anyway, what was the water level like at Portland yesterday? Bob and I (maybe Simon) have half an eye on Portland tomorrow to try and make up for it! It's still lowish tomorrow, but a little higher than Sunday.

Cheers
Last edited by Sue on Mon Nov 14, 2011 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
Justin
surf god
surf god

Portland harbour tides

Post by Justin »

Hi Sue
Tide wasn't as predicted! Not sure low tide levels are at all accurate for the Harbour....low neaps often seem far lower than low spring tides in my experience! Yesterday afternoon was a low spring tide, but the sandbank was always under fin deep water and you could sail right up to the pebble launch all day, no wading or walking required :???: . And strangely enough, none of the locals seemed surprised by this.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Justin - that's helpful to know on the tides. Haven't made a decision on tomorrow yet at the moment.

James and Richard - nice to meet you, and sounds as though you had quite a full on session only a little way up the road!

Rach - thanks for the choccy mini-rolls you left behind. They sure helped to "sweeten" the lack of wind (... a little), along with Ian's treats too!

Checking the wind forecasts when I got home - rather :oops: to find my BBC forecast link had converted itself to wind speeds in kph! Little wonder it was not quite as windy as I was expecting it to be! Have changed it straight back to mph now!!

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I trust you went out into the channel beyond the moorings? Its always a notch higher out there.

Mind you that will teach you to go to my favourite location on a day when I can not go.
:roll:
I hope you all behaved yourself, I don't want any complaints when they see the yellow sticker in the back of my car next time I'm down. :oops:
Graham
Mouser73
beach starter
beach starter

Post by Mouser73 »

Sue wrote: James and Richard - nice to meet you, and sounds as though you had quite a full on session only a little way up the road!
Likewise.
Yes we had a great session. Really good to be out somewhere else for a change. I was also surprised at how warm it was. Maybe the correct term would be how 'not cold.'

I was also surprised at how usable the swell was on the way in. It made it easy to keep planing out of the gybe and added that wave element we don't usually get at home.

I guess Weymouth's a pretty diverse place to sail. On the way back along the sea front we spotted three different launch points.

Some of the guys we spoke to said that Kimmeridge was better. Do any of you guys have much experience of sailing there?

The forecast looks pretty good again for Tuesday, but I'll be working unfortunately.

James.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

The truth is out!
Well done Sue and Ian adding to the Hamworthy Scam, as we all knew Justin & Lorraine were probably having better winds then us! :cry:

Looks like Ian told to many Porkie Pies then his consionence got the better of him and he had to confess all, You squealer - :lol: :lol:

As for the boom in the photo, God knows who that belonged too, but someone who had a bad windsurf-day!! :evil:
Welcome to the Surf
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I did wonder where you got the boom photo from, as its definitely the bin at Hamworthy. I was going to complain that you'd put it in the recycle bin, in fact it looked fixable, certainly compared with how my boom went earlier this year.
Graham