Porthcawl - Sun 22/6/08

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Porthcawl - Sun 22/6/08

Post by MartinF »

I guess I can officially call myself a windsurfer again.

After not having been on a board since last October, today's conditions were a rude awakening; providing a further demonstration - as if I needed it - of how unfit I am.

4.7m on 86l wave board was about as right as anything was going to be today - meaning I was either overpowered or underpowered. The former when gybing, the latter every time a big wave with large teeth jacked up in front of me. It was very lumpy out there! Unfortunately, my starboard tack sailing and jumping haven't improved during my layoff, either :oops:

But a good day, nonetheless. If only we got more weekends with wind!

Thanks to Nigel for the lift - good not to have to drive. Met up with Ian Kennedy on the beach.

Kelvin, Nobby and the BWA boys were there in force.

Also Bob Jones & Leslie were there, too. And Nomad Alistair.

Prob about 35 boards on the water at the busiest time.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Sounds good Martin. Since it was looking even windier out west I thought I might get blown away at Newton so went to WSM instead. Had a great time there on the 4.7 and wave board, best session this year. Pretty bumpy too. Should have got there earlier so I could have had more than a couple of hours sailing, it seemed a bit of a shame to stop at 1230.

I managed to crack the deck of my board as well since I hadn't bothered to strap the protector on. But hey, it was still a great session and fantastic for June. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

another epic day on the sunny side .
nigel you must come again , seems every time you turn up we get 10mph more than forcast .
Was expecting a nice 5.3m day so turned up nice and early 7.30am
Went out on 5.3m for 1/2 hr but was a bit to maxed .
Changed to the 4.7m which was just right so finished off the last 2hrs of the incoming tide .
Retired for breakfast around 10am awaiting the troops to arrive
Getting back on the water sometime after 11pm -4.30 before packing up as guys where getting a little tired (bloody lightweights) :lol:

Conditions just got better as tide went out with swell getting cleaner , not much shape to the waves for riding but jumping was good , out back swell was jacking big in places and if you where not commited enough or timed it wrong you found yourself in from of a huge wall of water , and with wind coming over the back of wave in a big shaddow of wind , there will only ever be one winner and a few had the kit ripped out of their hands in the rinse cycle .

Few guys out taking pics and one on hq vid cam so dont know what i,ll get back yet .

Martin as for your quote of if only the weekends where more like this , the last 3 have provided good 6m conditions on the sunny side .

Dont know if this guys a nomad ? certainly not a local this way as his star- jumping was crap :lol: but his incoming loops perfect :D

forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

A good day at Newton with both Sun and wind aplenty.

Good to get out.
Alistair
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

thats an epic report Al
what , sail/board where you on ... did you get munched ?
how long did you sail ? etc .come paint the picture !
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

Eh? :)

Got rid of the visiting relatives, dodged the building site/garden and made it to the sunny side despite huge headwind and usual traffic.

Rigged my old 5.2 which turned out to be too big even with all the guts hauled out of it but still pretty light in the hands considering. Should've gone 4.5. Still there was no hanging around with water lapping about my knees which makes a nice change.

The Syncro 103 is perhaps a bit on the large side for tackling the lump stuff but with my bulk and lack of recent sailing experience or any kind of skill, grace or stoke, I can't contemplate dusting off the old waveboard, which now sulks in a corner of the garage like a depressed teenager.

Still the board/sail combo made for plenty of speed which pretty much kept me out of trouble. Shame I've forgotted how to jump with any kind of confidence otherwise it would have been a grand day out. As the tide went out it just got harder so I stopped and after a while packed up.

Good to see y'all down there, heres to a bit more wind over the summer 8)
Alistair
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

We all seem to be agreed that it was an epic day. The stats for Cardiff show that it was a F5/6 gusting a strong 7, occasionally hitting an eight.

All this is with the benefit of hindsight. The Severn was wild as we crossed over to the sunny side (literally this time). But as we reached Porthcawl it looked like an illusion. Where had all the wind gone?

Arrived and started chatting to Shaun (?) from Rat Rigs. He had just come in after a speed sailing session on a 6.4m and was changing down to a 5.3 m for some fun in the waves. Plenty of boards out, but a 5.3 looked on the small size. Anyhow - taking into account my age and lack of fitness –I decided to wimp out and take the 4.7 with a large skeg on my 78l Goya. I also set the leach nice and tight, for some extra power.

Arrived at the water's edge and a brief conversation with someone who had just come in on a 4.4 m did make me question my initial judgement. After the first run, I quickly returned to the burger van for a smaller skeg, shedding some 9 cm 'of drag'. After the second run, I downhalled the life out of the sail. On the third run I hit a series of lulls and wondered if I would ever return to the beach. So I let some fullness back into the sail and the excitement began.

The main problems were a serious lack of fitness and stamina. In spite of this, I managed to clock up some great jumps and one awesome gybe (which was the only dry one that day).

One kind person rescued my board after hitting a wall of white water. This saved me a very long swim. Another, not so kind person, sailed over my sail, but I was relieved to find no noticeable damage other than a skeg mark on the luff sleeve.

The journey home was a little disconcerting as I had a powerful urge to fall asleep. Martin remained calm throughout the trip.

It felt soooo good to be alive and back on the water. :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks like there may be some more wind later this week 8)
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Sadly I was on duty at Axbridge, so imagine my frustration at seeing the boards whizzing across in the solid force 6 wind.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

think I know who this one is :lol:

Image[/img]
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Does his name begin with a K?
dro
surf god
surf god

wrong

Post by dro »

NO

!!!!!!!!! IT'S ME !!!!!!!!!!!
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

Great colour coordination there, K
Alistair
dro
surf god
surf god

my mistake

Post by dro »

sorry thought it me falling on a red board and sail .

After close study clear that it was someone else falling on an ORANGE set,hope he was not hurt.

Any idea who it was Kelvin?

Yours
A very concerned Lord Timid
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Hi Kelvin

Does the photographer post his shots on a website?

Nigel
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

yes
dave kittson , he actually windsurfs as well !

http://eyeballphotography.co.uk/

lot of the knap ones come off Don Cook as well

http://doncook.co.uk/
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk