Thursday or Friday early morning

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

PJ & JC
had a lesson
had a lesson

Thursday or Friday early morning

Post by PJ & JC »

the forecast looks good (windy) thur - Weston is sailable in the morning, any takers?
kids the ultimate light wind alternative
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Pete
Half keeping an eye on it - but I'm a fair weather person for Weston, and won't be keen if it's raining. At the moment Friday looks to be drier than tomorrow. The tides will be v high - not sure if that is a problem or not?
Sue
Nature playing with windsurfers
Jeremy
harness user
harness user

Friday

Post by Jeremy »

Would also like an answer to that question. Also contemplating an early start at Portland (high tide puuurrrrfect at 10am)
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Just checked various weather sites and my intended plan is to sail at WSM on Friday. High tide is at 11.00am ish, so if it's too big (wavey) I'll let it drop and sail 1 - 3 hrs post high tide when hopefully it may flatten a bit. I'll need to save some energy for the walk back! Friday looks to be sunny at the moment :D

Not keen on tomorrow (Thursday) due to probability of more rain, plus winds are stronger and may be too much for my smallest sail, a 4.7. I'll check it out again in the morning though. As much as I love Portland, I know my kit will be far too big there tomorrow. Should be a great day down there ...

Sue
Jeremy
harness user
harness user

Post by Jeremy »

I have decided to postpone till Friday as 50mph gusts didn't sound too appealing. That said, Portland still looks better than Weston for tomorrow.....?
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Jeremy

I'm staying local tomorrow ie WSM. I live the wrong side of Bristol for Portland, so on a weekday it can take 2.5hrs + to get there. Don't have the inclination for that tomorrow, particularly as it looks pretty windy down there again, and I fear I'd be overpowered on my kit (happened a couple of times last year, and it's a lot of travelling to get there and find it's too windy for a decent sail!!).

So will recheck in the morning, but am likely to try out WSM.
Have a good sail if you get out.

Oh yes, where has Peter got to - starts the thread and then disappears :wink: :D

Sue
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Sue wrote:The tides will be v high - not sure if that is a problem or not?
Sue
For all the details you would ever need on Weston, look on the main website, here.

Other locations also appear on the website. Feel free to use ;)
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Thanks Martin - don't want a long drive/ full day out tomorrow, so I'll go and have a look at WSM. Wind is predicted to be SW, so even if highish tide it should be easier to get out past any submerged posts compared to a westerly. I'll report on how any others fare if I don't get on the water ...

Any other takers for tomorrow??

Sue
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

I'm half tempted to go for an early one at Weston to catch the incoming tide in the sunshine, then work later to save some valuable holiday time. The tides pretty big though with EasyTide saying 12m in which case there might not be any beach left so might be best to park on the road. WXtide on this site predicts a bit less though, 11.1m.

I'll see what the wind is doing in the morning and decide then. Don't want to miss a rare windy day if I can help it. 8)
PJ & JC
had a lesson
had a lesson

Post by PJ & JC »

Had to work in the end. - Went to Oxwich on Sat, glassy windy (ish) in shorts nice. 8)
kids the ultimate light wind alternative